25 November 2008

What I've learned

Well, here it is. Grab your notebook and pencil, I'm about to unleash my boundless wisdom on motherhood and children. It should be groundbreaking...so prepare yourselves! Here's a list of the important things I have learned. Maybe it will help you. Maybe it will help me!
1. Kids don't know what the word "swallow" means. Don't ever tell a child to swallow their food unless you're sure they know how to do it! That's a mistake I've made more than once!
2. Sometimes mommies cry.
3. You'll say things that you'd never imagine such as "Don't eat your shoelaces," "We don't put our head in the toilet," and the ever popular "Do I have to turn this car around?"
4. Laugh. Laugh a lot. Out loud. Even if it's fake and forced. Even if it sounds strangely erratic and makes the kids look at you like you have lobsters crawling out of your ears.
5. Sometimes, the only way to live through the pressure is to get in the car and scream out loud. There's something very calming about letting that pent up energy out. I KNOW I'm not the only one who has done it.
6. Heavenly Father is over ALL and wants you to be hopeful and HAPPY.
7. Repent.
8. It's not a big deal if playdough gets stuck in the carpet. Once it dries you can vacuum it up.
9. Buy WASHABLE art supplies. Even if they're more expensive.
10. Marker and pen wipe easily off the fridge.
11. Fingernail polish takes fingernail polish off the sink but not the wall.
12. Strawberries can be washed out of the carpet but bananas can't.
13. Pray. A lot. Even more than you laugh.

Oh I'm just full of them. Don't worry, with a little effort, you too can be as good as me. Ha hA! All right, let's just admit it. I have absolutely NO IDEA what I am doing. Last night someone complemented Jas and I on the behavior of our children. Usually we're the freak show. Those of you with kids may know what I mean. You go anywhere and the stares follow you. Like the other night when we took our kids to the art museum and the security gaurd followed us through the whole exhibit. (I had it under control. They kept their hands in their pockets or on the stroller which Liam was strapped into for safety.) But today, I decided to embrace who I am: A lucky mommy of 5 who has no idea what she is doing but is nonetheless enjoying the ride! What is the best thing you have learned from kids? (yours or someone else's)

10 comments:

Heather said...

I have learned that they will do it when they are good and ready. Sleeping through the night, potty training—I read the books and pretended to be educated but it really came down to when they wanted to do it.

Jenny said...

I've learned that it's okay to let them watch too much t.v. some days. When you don't get much sleep it's about all you can do. There is always tomorrow, so I can worry about all that other stuff like discipline etc. later. It's not going to kill them.

Nancy T said...

I'm so glad that I have you and Jason to raise those grandkids! You are wonderful parents and you are teaching them what is most important---the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love your background!

Anonymous said...

Hey! CUTE post! Man, it's your birthday soon!!!! We need to get together, I feel bad we were out of town. What would be good for you guys? We're open Friday and Saturday except for not actually this Friday...But let me know!

Dan and Melissa said...

Wow...Shelley. I really appreciate your post. It was great. I love my kids because they truly inspire me to be better. Whenever I think of slacking off or giving-up I think of them and their light and I just want to carry on giving.

Danielson Family said...

I have learned that just staying home to watch your baby grow and learn things is so rewarding, especially when he learns how to give hugs and kisses.

kam said...

Thanks Michelle- I really liked this post. Gave me food for thought on a day when I was pretty dang "hungry" ;) ;) You guys are terrific parents and great examples to me!

ReadingFamily said...

Hi guys, Your post is so true and so fun to read and relate well too. We need an updated adress from you guys. E-mail me ASAP (in your free time). stacyareading@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Dan and Melissa said...

Shelly, just wanted to thank you for sending your awesome husband on Friday night. I know that was a sacrifice and I so missed seeing you there too. I was sad that Dan didn't let you know that you could have invited your family as well.
We can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks. We miss you! We pray that things work out for Jas getting a good job offer soon.

Krif said...

Great post! I think I could add some other things to that list for myself. More mothers need to write books about raising children. It is not easy, but I would not trade it for anything.