05 April 2008

Good Times


As I was driving the kids up to my mother-in-laws the other day, I listened to Ben and Lizzy playing "I Spy" in the back seat and I found myself remembering all of those childhood games we used to play. What would the world be like, for example, without the alphabet game for long car rides? We had an amazing drive where the kids played with their leap pads (thank you more than you know, Mom) and each other THE WHOLE WAY without arguing or crying. Just quiet laughter!!! Here are some of the good old games I can remember playing. TV not included:
1. Hop Scotch
2. Spies
3. That popular "night game" favorite, kick the can
4. P.J.'s This was a game invented by my brother Richard. (If you don't know Richard, he is one of the most creative people I know. Someday, his dreams are going to be made into Broadway musicals and they are going to copyright the brilliant StarTrek home movies he made...)
5. Colored Eggs-does anyone else remember this one or was it something just my family played?
6. Cat in a cradle
7. Chinese (and regular) jump rope. I never got the hang of double Dutch. I seem to remember Amy being really good at it.
8. A good old fashioned tea party with dress-ups. (Carly, I still have that tea set!)
9. Crack the whip-how many concusions and cases of whiplash does this cause per year?
10. Simon says
11. Red Rover. I hated this game. I was always the weak link. I didn't want to hurt my piano hands..or something..oh let's face it ! I'm a wimp and always have been!
11. The fox and the hound (was that what it was called?) We usually played this in the snow.
12. And the most popular of all, school. I used to have my own chalkboard easel.

Ah the purity of childhood. When school was fun, and bedtime was something to avoid for as long as possible!

4 comments:

Carly G. said...

Ha! Don't forget playing restaurant and playing dress-up on a very regular basis. I believe you and I participated in a few of those terrible homemade Star Trek movies.
I was telling Heather the other day how nice it was to have a cousin/best friend only a few miles from me to play with on the weekend. I remember HATING when our moms would come pick us up.
The tea parties were most excellent and eating cheese on saltine crackers will forever remind me of playing with my cousin Michelle!

skcoe said...

I despised dodgeball and Red Rover, I was always the last chosen and the last one wanting to play anyway!!

I need to teach my sons hopscotch and marbles and start turning off the TV more. Yay spring weather, and thanks for the reminder!

kam said...

Colored eggs? Is that what your family called it? We played a game called "Colored easter eggs" where everyone chooses a color secretly, and the "big bad wolf" (the person who was "it") would guess a color and if he named yours you had to run and he had to tag you. Same game?? Anywhooo....FUN memories indeed!!!

Unknown said...

posts! Mother!