23 July 2008

Gardens and random thoughts from this week


If I could pick two talents to inherit from my parents, they would be gardening and sewing. Gardening is a particular hobby that I enjoy but doesn't always produce the best "fruits." However, despite my tendency to kill everything in pots, my little garden area, I am PROUD to say, is flourishing this year. I owe it all to a love of weeding and Miracle Gro. *Contented sigh...* My neighbor and I spent a whole year pulling out grass and Chinese Elm trees and making a rock border. This year, everything was ready to plant with no major changes. Anywho, my favorite feature is that this year a strange weed came up that looked familiar. I decided to leave it and see what it was. The result is the tallest plant in this picture. Mom says it's called "mullen".

This week, Jason has been waiting on his flight instructor who has been out of town, so we've tried to keep extra busy. It keeps us distracted from the impending doom/salvation of finding or not finding a job. The kids have spent a lot of time at the pool and Lizzy has learned how to play Mario Cart. I think she can handle the nintendo better than I can.

Side note: If anyone has any good ideas for family service projects that we could do with our little kids will you please share them? We've been trying to teach our kids about work and charity. I just can't think of very many service projects for us to do to enforce the new ideas.

5 comments:

Contessa Elegante said...

Your garden is lovely! I noticed that it looked really pretty last time I came over. I also remember that Ben and a neighbor girl were searching for snails under the rock border. One persons garbage is...anothers treasure!

skcoe said...

Your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!

For a while we took our children to visit their grandmother in a little rest home in Orem. After visiting her we would also stop by other men and women's rooms and sing them hymns and primary songs. They loved it, and my children really grew to love the people there.

Jenny said...

Wow, pretty flowers, good job Michelle.
Can we come over and go swimming some day?
As far as service projects go there are some good ideas on LDS.org in the Humanitarian section.

Sharon said...

We just had a cute family move from Utah and he's a piolot for Northwest. He is based out of Detroit because I guess nobody wants to go there. They were surprised that they could live in the beautiful city of Ann Arbor(voted one of the best places to live by many magazines) and he only has a 25 minute commute. They are grateful they don't have to live in Detroit! Come and join the fun!

Marianne said...

Michelle, what a beautiful flower garden! I especially love your "familiar weed"...good thing you didn't pull it.