27 February 2009

Meatloaf Mayhem

Sometimes my life reminds me of that line from "Mr. Mom": "My brain, is like oatmeal. Megan and I are starting to watch the same t.v. shows and I'm likin' 'em...I LOSING IT!" I swear once upon a time I was smart. I knew things. I don't mean to brag. I don't think I was a genius or anything, just that I could walk and chew gum at the same time. Life was simple then. I could read a book or study a new subject and LEARN. Ahhh, I have learned the meaning of 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks.' When I had Ben, I lost most of my brain cells along with the ability to speak French. Or read it or whatever. When I had the twins, I lost a large portion of the gray matter and the ability to follow conversation. With Liam, I think it was the ability to comprehend anything after 8 p.m. There just wasn't anything left to loose when I had Natalie. Or was there? The photo below was taken on an ordinary day while making dinner. I kept wondering why the pot in the back never started to boil and everything else was burning while the meatloaf was getting cold...

BECAUSE YOU RETARD, the FRONT burner, upon which rests a casserole dish filled with tonight's dinner, is on and not the BACK burner! I feel like every time I successfully complete a meal, someone should pat me on the head and say, "Good mommy. Good good mommy."

12 comments:

Heather said...

I'm just impressed that you had that many things to offer to your kids (my family typically gets one thing that took SOME time and the rest of it is just thrown on the table).

I agree with the not-so-smart feeling. I try to follow Shane's work/business stories without squinting and allowing the steam to come from my ears (and that's me, the business major). I hear there is a real study done about significant brain cells being lost during pregnancy. And if pregnancy doesn't do it, years of sleep deprivation will!

Faith Eshelman said...

I hear ya! Every time I try to cook a homemade meal for Taylor's family, something goes wrong. I made a crockpot meal for them last week and the potatoes didn't cook through, so we had to wait an extra hour and a half to eat...I cut the chicken in bite sized bits because that's how my husband likes them, but by the time the potatoes cooked through, the meat was dry. Oh, and then there's the pie. I forgot the pie was in the oven because I was trying to get my two-year old to take a nap. The key-lime pie burned a bit, but was still edible. They were way too nice to say that it was tasty and that it was a do-it-again recipe...more like do it again "the right way" so we can really see if it's a tasty recipe.

Just a couple of nights ago we had one of Taylor's family members over again; this time for Hawaiin HAYstacks. The rice turned out crunchier than a strand of HAY. Have you ever heard livestock eating hay? If not, find a horse and listen to him eat and that's how it sounded around the dinner table.

Jenny said...

That is too funny. I did the same thing a few weeks ago, burned a cookie sheet with cinnamon rolls on it because it was sitting on a burner that I turned on, started a fire and everything, it was great.

Kim said...

A couple years back my family was out of town, except for my dad. I thought it would be nice to have him over for dinner. Just as he walked in we had a very similar explosion as your picture. Yeah, wrong burner turned on. The glass was so hot that the pieces that fell on the floor melted the linoleum. Kind of scary and embarrassing. I think I would be a pretty good cook if I wasn't constantly trying to do five other things at the same time.
You're not alone!

Nancy T said...

ahhh! So sorry! Time for peanut butter sandwiches again?
Natalie looks like a little madame alexander doll!

Nancy T said...

P.S. you look gorgeous in that picture! The fact that you could write such great stories in your blog show that you have quite a bit of grey matter left!

Unknown said...

What a bum day. I'm sorry. My brain is all fizzled from Abi I find myself making not so awesome mistakes all the time. That picture of Natalie though is just too precious!

Unknown said...

i agree with mom, I was thinking the same thing. I can't write like that even if I had grey matter left. I blew up a casserole of swedish meatballs in our provo apartment. The good thing about it though, is that I haven't done it since because it was so traumatizing the first time and the mess was such a pain to clean up. David was so sweet. He actually still ate some of the meatballs. He just picked pieces of glass out of them. Now that's true love!

Dan and Melissa said...

I am just so impressed that you had such a good dinner prepared in the first place! Shelly I just laugh because I feel the same way ( My brain just doesn't function as competently as it once did;) It's worth it though (some days;)

Carly G. said...

At least you can cook! I try to make French Toast and mess it up :(

Michelle said...

French toast is a delicacy.

Marianne said...

That is EXACTLY why I prefer a gas stove. I can't tell you how many pots and dishes I have burned and ruined the same way.