04 May 2008

Twins...oh twins...Happy Birthday!




On May Day 2004, I worked in the garden with an unusual amount of energy. That night around midnight, my mom came over to stay with Ben so Jason and I could go to the hospital. I was fairly calm because I had gone to the hospital no less than 5 times during the previous 3 weeks. This time, however, I felt that the babies were ready to come. The doctor told me to take some pain medication and head home because he "didn't really want to come up to the hospital tonight." ??!!! I told him that I was staying and he could come or stay home. Whatever. Someone at the hospital could surely deliver the babies...and get paid for it. He was there 30 minutes later. By 6 a.m. they still weren't moving fast enough so they gave me a drop of pitocin. Elizabeth Marilynn was born at 6:07 and Jane Catherine was born at 6:19. They rushed Jane off to the NICU before I could see her. I suffered a horrible 10 minutes (and I am very grateful that it only lasted that long) in which I thought I might loose one of my children. Jane had a high hematocrite which made it harder for her to breath. She had all of her blood thinned twice. Lizzy was awake and alert when they handed her to me. Having twins is a trip that I'm glad I went on! I can't imagine how boring my life would be without them! I love Janey's ability to love and snuggle EVERYONE and Lizzy's motherly tendencies. Their personalities came out early and it's been fun to watch them develop and learn. Happy birthday Bill and BarJane!!! I love you!

2 comments:

Jason Findlay said...

Well of course I'm biased, but I think that my girls are the cutest! I remember vividly the day they were born, I was tastefully creating a home video (none of the gross stuff). And I can't imagine life without them.

Carly G. said...

Happy birthday girls!!