12 February 2008

We're like the Von Trapp family you know...

Here's the thing. We live in a small but comfortable condo. Michelle and I decided that we didn't want to have to shout to get our kids to come to us (you know you always want your kid to come to you instead of you going to the kid right? anyway...) so we devised a series of whistles. Each child has his/her own tune that we whistle to get them to come to us. We just use our lips, no fancy naval whistles or anything.

So far it's been working quite well. The kids help each other out too. If Michelle or I whistle someone's whistle the other kids will excitedly remind the child whose whistle was whistled that they need to come to us. Whew! that was a lot of "whistles."

Well the other night the kids were watching the new Pride & Prejudice and Ben decided that they were going to have their own dance right in our living room. He deftly cued the movie to the public ball and then got all the kids dancing. How could I not get that on tape?

So, just like the Von Trapp family, we whistle for our children and they dance together. If you don't remember the second reference then it's been FAR TOO LONG since you saw that movie last.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

whistling is a good idea.

ReadingFamily said...

Hi guys,
I just wanted to write and tell you that we love your blog and I totally check into what you guys are up to. We sent you a Christmas card and it was returned (months ago). So we need an address update. Check out our blog. It's fun to feel like we know what you guys are up to.
Stacy

skcoe said...

I LOVE the dancing, I have so many memories of me and my siblings doing that! (I was always the boss, I tortured my brothers into dancing with me...)

I'm glad you got it on video, that's so fun!

Kim said...

I just found your blog, and I love this post! The Sound of Music is one of my favorites, and we actually just watched it the other day! Love the video, and what a great idea when, "The grounds are extensive and (you) will not have anyone shouting."

Tiffany said...

How cute!! We need a video of the different whistles too! Ü