08 January 2008

Older and Wiser Too



There has been a lot of talk lately on my blogging buddies blogs about feeling old. I know I'm not 30 yet, but I reserve the right to feel old. I have four children and so I'm about 10 years behind on sleep which makes me feel old. I got arthritis from a strep infection when I was a child so I know about bones achin' n such. I am currently the Mia Maid advisor. They constantly remind me how out of date I am. They don't know who Harry Conick Jr. is. The other day I asked them if they knew where their current favorite song "Chipmunk Christmas" came from. They all looked really confused! Someone suddenly remembered the new movie that came out and guessed it was from there. I soon discovered that NONE of them had ever heard about the Chipmunks! That's like not knowing who the Smurfs are! The latest thing to make me feel old is Ben's discovery of the game Heads up 7 up. How well I remember closing my eyes and anticipating someone's sweaty or rough hand smashing my thumb down. I could always tell if it was a girl or a boy who picked me. I always wanted a turn but when I was picked, I was too embarrassed to go up to the front. I love going to church on Sunday and seeing the outfits some of the young women put together. I swear I had the same things in 3rd grade-or wished I was old enough to wear them. My favorite was a wide red leather belt that scrunched up on the sides. I still remember my 5th grade teacher had one she wore over a long black tunic. Long live the olden days of slap bracelets and jelly shoes!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Did you ever contemplate different "strategies" while you were sniffing your desk during "thumbs up seven up"? (Do I wiggle my finger, hold still, do I dare peak at the shoes so I can cheat?") I loved that game!

Unknown said...

I was a peaker all the way!